[Texmacs-dev] Qt fonts

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Qt fonts
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 22:37:46 +0100

Hi all,

I am having a very hard time with the Qt fonts, because there seems no way to
determine the actual font file names from a QFont.  Therefore, rendering on
a printer can only be done via Qt, which has several inconvenient consequences
(absence of hyperlinks, for instance, and a lot of work to be done to keep
all the current fonts working).

Unless someone has a brilliant idea, I therefore started hacking a way to
automatically determine font information via Qt, to precompile some tables of
fonts that we should look for, possibly extensible a posteriori,
e.g. by searching on the hard disk.

Even there, Qt is not much of a help, because fonts in the same family
are mixed up.  Possibly, it would be better if someone could hack something
together to determine font names and properties as a function of raw font files,
at least for .ttf, .ttc and .otf files.  There are some posts on this on the
web.
These formats are a bit tedious, but well documented, so with one day of work,
it should be possible to come up with a clean solution.

Best wishes, --Joris