Re: [Texmacs-dev] New Fonts + Native Font Rendering Patch

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] New Fonts + Native Font Rendering Patch
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 22:28:49 +0100

Dear Alex,

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 10:22:33PM -0800, Aleksandr Dobkin wrote:
> I'm a bit busy with work at the moment, but I will take a look at this in
> detail in the next few days.

You found some time to look at it again?

> I would expect that there would subtle but significant changes to the
> metrics. For example, ligatures would be used. It may event be desirable to
> scale the fonts so they work better together.

I understand that Qt has built in support for ligatures from Open Type fonts.
However, as long as you stick with the default TeXmacs rendering for otf fonts
via Freetype, there is no support for ligatures (even not of kerning, but that
can be fixed), except if you are also using some tfm file for the metrics.

By the way, I just found out that there is no way to determine the actual otf
file
from a QFont. This is very annoying, because we cannot use QPrinter for printing
(at least as long as we are not uniformly rendering all fonts via Qt).
When writing your Qt-based font rendering for TeXmacs, did you consider
printing?

Notice also that I wrote a first version of native font rendering using QFonts.
See the file qt_font.cpp ; this probably replaces what you did in a slightly
better way in the sense that we can choose the rendering method we prefer.

> All the code and files should be available at
>
> https://gitorious.org/~adob

At a first stage, I think that it would be good to replace the current fonts
in Font -> Name -> Adobe by your fonts.  This means that there are still
several fonts missing: Chancery, Courier, etc.  It would be great if you
could add the missing fonts and provide a patch which simply replaces
the current fonts in this menu by your fonts, while keeping the same names.
I will add a warning about the changed semantics.

Best wishes, --Joris