[Texmacs-dev] Type 3 fonts

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Type 3 fonts
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:47:43 +0200 (CEST)

Hi *,

I would like to support the common anti-aliased type 3 fonts in TeXmacs.
After having browsed the web some time, I am starting to wonder what
is the standard way of doing this.

I had the idea that XFree 4.0 had some support for True Type fonts,
but when looking more closely, I just found out that this relies on
FreeType which is a program which is independent of X and which does
not do the anti-aliasing. Moreover, I found almost no .ttf fonts on
my hard disk, so this indicates that this is not the standard tool
which is being used by everybody.

So am I missing something? Since we already do have a mechanism
for rendering bitmaps in an anti-aliased way, it would not be hard
for me to support the True Type library. But before doing so,
I would like to know if there is something more standard,
so that I will not have to do this stuff over and over all the time.

Thanks, Joris