Re: [SPAM] Re: texinfo 5.00 -> 5.0 -> 4.13.90 html output

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: [SPAM] Re: texinfo 5.00 -> 5.0 -> 4.13.90 html output
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 23:53:52 +0100

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 10:42:13AM -0800, Karl Berry wrote:
>     I guess you called texi2any.pl?
>
> Yes, because on those rare occasions when I'm actually tinkering with
> the source, it's way more convenient to modify the source file and
> simply run the test, and not worry about the derived scripts.

I do the same too.

> (I actually think we should document the recommended way(s) to run
> texi2any from development, since it's pretty non-obvious.)

You mean with the paths setting or with using .pl?

> Sure there is.  We do it by hand :).  I already update the version
> number in multiple places for each release and prerelease.  The texi2dvi
> script is one example, precisely because I don't want to incur the pain
> of generating a substituted version.

The idea of synchronizing by hand just makes my skin crawl.  Ok, I'll
do it for that time, but you'll have to take care of it for the next
releases, that's too humiliating ;-)

>     I can hardcode something else,
>
> I think what we should hardcode right now is "4.13.90" :).

Right, done.  I also took that opportunity to change a bit how the perl
module is generated to have something better.

I added a slightly derogatory comment about this $hardcoded_version...
I can remove it if you don't find it funny...

--
Pat