Re: [SPAM] Re: texinfo 5.00 -> 5.0 -> 4.13.90 html output

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: [SPAM] Re: texinfo 5.00 -> 5.0 -> 4.13.90 html output
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 23:18:11 +0100

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 04:17:24PM -0800, Karl Berry wrote:
>     I think that this situation is not really coverd by the GNU
>     standards,
>
> Legalistically, no.  But the document is not written legalistically.
> The spirit is clear -- program behavior shouldn't depend on the name.

I agree that the spirit is clear, but it cannot apply to unconfigured
interpreted program.  It is not really possible, indeed, to avoid having
a different behaviour in that case, because some strings are indeed
different.  In that setting, having something different done with .pl
allows to have a similar behaviour for the unconfigured in-source script
and the installed configured script.

That being said, I see the rationale behind not doing anything different
when a .pl is added to the script name, once installed.

> How about an environment variable, then?  Say, TEXINFO_DEV_SOURCE.

That could make sense.  It could even replace the .pl tricks.  It would
be set in tests, for example, and developpers could be assumed to have
it set?

--
Pat