Re: [SPAM] Re: texinfo 5.00 -> 5.0 -> 4.13.90 html output

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [SPAM] Re: texinfo 5.00 -> 5.0 -> 4.13.90 html output
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 15:16:08 -0800

    In the case of .pl

Thanks for doing that.  Now I have another idea/request -- how about a
command line option, or configuration variable, that overrides all the
.pl-specific behavior, say --dev-source.

The reason is that we really shouldn't have any behavior which is
controlled solely by the value of $0.  (The GNU standards go even
farther than that, but I don't. :)

Right now, if someone wanted to get the development behavior (source
tree library searching, configure.ac version finding), they have to name
their executable ending with .pl.  With such an option, they could say
alias foobar="foobar --dev-source"
or whatever, without any .pl.

It's pretty much irrelevant in practice, but I don't want to be left
without any defensible argument if rms ever questioned it.

Wdyt?

Thanks,
Karl

P.S. As you saw, I changed the "default default" to 0.00-hardcoded so I
don't feel compelled to keep it synchronized :).