Re: [Swftools-common] pdf2swf issue with Font Display on WinCharSetFFFF-

From: Chris
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] pdf2swf issue with Font Display on WinCharSetFFFF-H encoded fonts
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 16:13:51 +0200

Hi Irving,

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 15:17:50 -0700
Irving Popovetsky <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Chris <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 11:24:45 -0700
> > Irving Popovetsky <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Did you re-compile swftools against the revised version of xpdf?  With a
> > proper dist clean or un-install on the way.  May be necessary in order to
> > notice
> > the changed CMAPS.
> >
> Sorry, cmaps are read on-the-fly.    However,  I did recompile the latest
> swftools (from git) and xpdf just to make sure.   same results.

Well it was worth a try!  I was wild guessing anyway.  Not that familiar ( yet )
with pdf2swf.  Rarely, if ever, use it.

> > >    2. How can I control font hinting for embedded fonts in PDFs?
> > Font hinting?  As in choice of substitutes??
> >

> Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology.  There is something broken on Linux
> where some Chinese fonts have the brush strokes incorrectly laid out.
>  Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

No, I think you correct. However, I was wondering if you thought this was the
result of incorrectly drawn substitute fonts, or incorrectly rendered to grid
ones, i.e. bad primary pixel interpolation..

> Correct Chinese font display  (made by pdf2swf on Mac OS):
> [image: pdf2swf-WinCharsetFFFF-correct.png]
>
> Bad Chinese font display  (made by pdf2swf on Linux):
> [image: pdf2swf-WinCharsetFFFF-bad.png]

.. because there is a substantial difference between the two.

Presumably the two fonts, when viewed in a font editor, are exact copies?  Do
you get the same effect if you render the font with font2swf?

> > >    3. How can I substitute embedded PDF fonts with system fonts?
> >
> > If you don't specify the full directory path ( with -f ), and the relevant
> > fonts aren't actually in the path, don't they get substituted by default?
> >

> In the PDFs in question,  the fonts are embedded  (see pdffont info from
> used.   xpdf writes out the fonts embedded in the PDF and then uses them.
>
> What I'm asking is:  Can we tell xpdf NOT to use the embedded fonts,  rather
> to use a substitute local font instead?

ttbomk, yes. You just need to tell xpdf where to find them, by setting in
xpdfrc,

   http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/problems.html

Regards,

Chris.