Re: [Swftools-common] pdf2swf issue with Font Display on WinCharSetFFFF-

From: Irving Popovetsky
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] pdf2swf issue with Font Display on WinCharSetFFFF-H encoded fonts
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 15:17:50 -0700

Hi Chris,

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Chris <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 11:24:45 -0700
Irving Popovetsky <address@hidden> wrote:
Did you re-compile swftools against the revised version of xpdf?  With a proper
dist clean or un-install on the way.  May be necessary in order to notice the
changed CMAPS.

Sorry, cmaps are read on-the-fly.    However,  I did recompile the latest swftools (from git) and xpdf just to make sure.   same results.

>    2. How can I control font hinting for embedded fonts in PDFs?

Font hinting?  As in choice of substitutes??

Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology.  There is something broken on Linux where some Chinese fonts have the brush strokes incorrectly laid out.  Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

Correct Chinese font display  (made by pdf2swf on Mac OS):
pdf2swf-WinCharsetFFFF-correct.png

Bad Chinese font display  (made by pdf2swf on Linux):
pdf2swf-WinCharsetFFFF-bad.png

What is it called when this happens?

>    3. How can I substitute embedded PDF fonts with system fonts?

If you don't specify the full directory path ( with -f ), and the relevant
fonts aren't actually in the path, don't they get substituted by default?

In the PDFs in question,  the fonts are embedded  (see pdffont info from last message).   I can verify using strace that no system fonts are being used.   xpdf writes out the fonts embedded in the PDF and then uses them.

What I'm asking is:  Can we tell xpdf NOT to use the embedded fonts,  rather to use a substitute local font instead?

Thanks,
-Irving