[Swarm-Support] Sending parameters via message: m()

From: James Keirstead
Subject: [Swarm-Support] Sending parameters via message: m()
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 12:33:00 -0000

Hi,

I'm just beginning with SWARM and seem to be having trouble with some
basic syntax issues.  I've searched the web but can't seem to find
anything on the most basic question - such as:

1) How do I send parameters via message: m()?

In buildActions of ModelSwarm.m I've got this code excerpt and I want to
pass parameters for getDistance X and Y.

  modelSchedule = [Schedule createBegin: self];
  [modelSchedule setRepeatInterval: 1];
  modelSchedule = [modelSchedule createEnd];
 [modelSchedule at: 0 createActionTo: aCustomer message:
M(getDistanceX:Y:)];

This will compile and run, granted with garbage numbers since I don't
actually pass anything to getDistance.  I've seen reference to
[modelSchedule ... message: M(getDistanceX:Y):20:30]; but I get errors
with that syntax.

2) How do I refer to the properties of an object?  I've tried
aCustomer.xPos, where aCustomer is a Swarm Object called Customer with
an internal variable called xPos, but get "request for member 'xPos' in
something not a structure or union".

Thanks for your help

Cheers,
James Keirstead