[Swarm-Support] Re: Swarm again

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: [Swarm-Support] Re: Swarm again
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 08:32:04 -0500

Hello, Izak

You have happened upon the libtool scourge. I see the same in RedHat when certain versions of libtool exist.

Here's the problem. libtool is looking in /usr/lib/swarm but instead the files are in /tmp/swarm-root/usr/lib/swarm. At one time, I had changed the ltmain.sh in Swarm to avoid this, but that changed did not work with one version of libtool or another, so it got ditched.

So here is the fix.

After the RPM build runs one time, note in your build directory BUILD you have swarm, cd in there, and cd into the directory called "=with-hdf". su to the root user, then run "make install". This actually installs the stuff to /usr.

Then run the RPM build again, and it will find the libraries it needs.

You can then manually delete the swarm install, from /usr/include/swarm, usr/lib/swarm, etc.

Then when you install the Swarm RPM,

Izak Burger wrote:
Hello,

Thank you so much for your reply.  I downloaded the new source rpm and
building it went a lot more smoothly, well, up to the final part where it
actually creates the rpm.  At this point, I got this error:

RPM build errors:
  File not found: /tmp/swarm-root/usr/lib/swarm/libswarm.la
  File not found by glob: /tmp/swarm-root/usr/lib/swarm/libswarm.so*
  File not found: /tmp/swarm-root/usr/lib/swarm/libswarm.a
  File not found by glob: /tmp/swarm-root/usr/lib/swarm/libjavaswarm*.la
  File not found by glob: /tmp/swarm-root/usr/lib/swarm/libjavaswarm*.so*
  File not found: /tmp/swarm-root/usr/lib/swarm/libjavaswarm.a

After much hunting arround, creating logfiles and such, I see that these
missing files are all caused by a failed invocation of libtool.  Libtool
attempts to relink (?) them, and fails.  Not knowing too much about
libtool, I eventually decided to just link the missing files myself, and
build the rpm with --short-circuit.

regards,
Izak Burger