[Swarm-Support] RH7.3 and 9 RPMs for newest swarm snapshot

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: [Swarm-Support] RH7.3 and 9 RPMs for newest swarm snapshot
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 22:44:20 -0500

I decided to upgrade all my RedHat systems but one, so the RH 7.3 system I have left needed new Swarm, and all of you users of last year's RH benefit:

Here is the announcement:

*New Swarm RPMS for RH 7.3 systems*

I just rebuilt hdf5-1.4.5post2 and Swarm-2.1.143.20030513 on a RedHat 7.3 system.

The RPMS are posted here, as usual:

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Swarm-2.2x_RPMSforRH7.3/

These were built with gcc3 from the packages posted here:

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/miscSupportSoftware/gcc-upgrades/3.0.4RH72/ <http://lark.cc.ku.edu/%7Epauljohn/Swarm/miscSupportSoftware/gcc-upgrades/3.0.4RH72/>

I believe it is necessary for you to have gcc3 to install these RPMs. But the gcc3 that RedHat distributes will suffice, I think. Try for yourself, let me know.

*About Java Support*

I just installed this rpm from Sun in order to support Sun JDK: * j2sdk-1.4.1_02-fcs *

In case you want to install swarm-jdk, you need that. OR else you need to do some fancy footwork with symbolic links and RPM dependencies.

Now, about RedHat 9.

In case you are a RH9 user, of course, I also have the big delicious treat for you, but I think everybody knew about that one:

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Swarm-2.2x_RH9.0/

use
hdf5-1.4.5post2-1RH90.i386.rpm

swarm-2.1.143.20030512

About this new RPM that the rpm builder just started making:

swarm-debuginfo-2.1.143.20030512-1RH9.0.i386.rpm

This is an optional install that contains information that gdb can read when you are trying to debug Swarm itself. I have confirmed with the RPM team that this is not a required package in any sense. Rather, it is a collection of elements that RPM used to throw away when compiled files were stripped. So it is an enhancement. gdb should work the same as it always did for you even if you do not install this package.

The swarm-static package is needed only if you want to try to compile Swarm programs statically (with no shared libraries) or if you want to profile a Swarm program. I don't know of any other uses for swarm-static, but I'm always keeping my ears open.