[Swarm-Support] HDF5 hdfview works, Swarm usage mysterious (was Re: New

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: [Swarm-Support] HDF5 hdfview works, Swarm usage mysterious (was Re: New Code: Interpolator...
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 16:51:06 -0500

Marcus gave a good tip with this note.

I just downloaded and tried hdfview. It works as advertised. A graphical view of hdf5 formatted data.

As far as Swarm is concerned, we have pretty good data output strategies with the changes Marcus put into EZGraph for Swarm-2.2. I think it is no trouble at all to run a model and watch the time plots on the screen and at the same time save the data into an hdf5 file. For plots of summary indicators, this works perfectly well. For R, we have the HDF5 library addon that Marcus made, and also in the R list Robert Gentleman has appeared with another library which also supports HDF5 data. I did not try the latter yet, but the former works fine.

I wish I knew more about creating an hdf5 data set and getting elements out of it and into Swarm. I've got the lisp archiving approach figured out pretty well, partly because you can look at a file and see something understandable:

(list

 (cons 'bfParams
  (make-instance 'BFParams
  #:numfcasts 60

And after a bit of trial and error, one can make that work. (You can see
example in the "simpleBatchBug3" tutorial I just put in, for a snap, look here:
http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/ps909/Agent-Based_Models/tutorial-2.2-pre3.tar.gz
)

HDF5 is more mysterious, and I've made a few frustrated efforts to understand it, but did not yet succeed.

But it is certainly on my list of things to do. IF other people have working example code, please let me/us know.

Marcus G. Daniels wrote:
Steve Railsback wrote:

Well, considering that Excel stops at 65536 rows x 256 columns, or Quattro at 1 million rows, that falls considerably short of the 350 million we need. And we need considerably more-automated data cleaning techniques, as well. There is a spreadsheet-like interface for HDF5, either in the form of the HDF5 data viewer (from the HDF5 site), or with the HDF5 plugin for R.

In any case, it's just a question of choosing the right tool for the job.

1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504