Re: [Swarm-Support] New code: Interpolator, time series input manager

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] New code: Interpolator, time series input manager
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 22:09:15 -0600

Steve Railsback wrote:

nobody cares about file size any more; it's easy in a spreadsheet to crank out a separate file for each variable

No- again, our idea was that you almost always end up messing around
with the data in a spreadsheet to clean it up, check it, look for
missing or bad values, etc.; so then make it as easy as possible to get
it into your model from the spreadsheet.
Well, considering that Excel stops at 65536 rows x 256 columns, or Quattro at 1 million rows, that falls considerably short of the 350 million we need. And we need considerably more-automated data cleaning techniques, as well. There is a spreadsheet-like interface for HDF5, either in the form of the HDF5 data viewer (from the HDF5 site), or with the HDF5 plugin for R.

In any case, it's just a question of choosing the right tool for the job.