Re: misshaps on RedHat and Slackware

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: Re: misshaps on RedHat and Slackware
Date: 09 Oct 2002 16:19:00 -0700

PJ> Alex Lancaster wrote: The newest one requires a version of
PJ> gcc3.0.1 I describe.
>> One question I do have to Paul who has built recent snapshots on
>> CVS, is whether it's 100% necessary to have a GCC > 3.0 to build
>> it?
>>
PJ> At approximately Swarm Version 2.1.94, it became necessary to use
PJ> gcc-3.x. I don't recall the reason.

We should really find out, I was not able to be very closely tuned in
to development at that time, but I do recall the discussion with
Marcus and yourself about those changes.  I'm sure the archive will
have clues.

[...]

PJ> They also removed jikes.  And I've been the to blt site to try to
PJ> grab their source and it won't give it. I hope that is not a
PJ> permanent condition.

Just get the last released SRPMS for BLT from Red Hat 7.3, and we can
use that (unless there's a newer BLT, in which case we should probably
track the new version if we can), the same with jikes.  It would be
nice to get rid of the Tcl/Tk/BLT toolchain altogether and replace it
with a more modern and/or maintained toolkit (e.g. wxWindows, which is
cross-platform), but that's a lot of work (we did do a complete
Java/AWT prototype once).

Tcl/Tk is still going strong, but I suspect BLT may be going off to
the pasture sometime soon.

A.
--
      Alex Lancaster |  Swarm Development Group  |  http://www.swarm.org