Re: .bashrc, warning

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: Re: .bashrc, warning
Date: 30 Jul 2002 19:47:20 -0700

PT>          Hi all, a warning that may be interesting for cygwin
PT> users.

PT>          To run Swarm from Cygwin bash shell we had to include in
PT> our home a file like that reported below.

PT>          With recent Cygwin releases (I have found the problem
PT> dowloading the files related to 1.3.12.2 cigwin1.dll version), the
PT> bash shell ignores .bashrc file at start up.

PT>          Solution: simply rename the file, e.g.

PT> mv .bashrc .bash_profile

Actually the Right Thing is to put read the .bashrc at the beginning
of your .bash_profile, like so:

# Get the aliases and functions
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
        . ~/.bashrc
fi

This will run the .bashrc at login time, but also preserve the .bashrc
aliases as they should be for non-login shells (otherwise non-login
shells won't get the aliases and functions set properly).

See "Bash Startup Files":

 http://www.gnu.org/manual/bash/html_node/bashref_63.html#SEC63

in the Bash manual:

 http://www.gnu.org/manual/bash/