Re: libpng.so.3 Dependency Issues - Swarm installation

From: Geoff Wright
Subject: Re: libpng.so.3 Dependency Issues - Swarm installation
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 10:39:10 -0400

Paul,

Thank you for the suggestions.  They were helpful in sorting out my
difficulties. I have managed to successfully install swarm onto RH7.3 and
thought that other newbies facing similar obstacles would be interested in
what I did.

Generally, I am not too keen on using the --force option with `rpm'.  However,
in this situation, I believe that I was required to use it (Paul- you may
want to interject here!).

I have provided a copy of my InstallationNotes.txt for you to reference as I
try to explain what I am doing.

First, RH7.3 comes installed with libpng-1.0.12-2 (or, at least, my choices
during installation gave rise to this situation). In order to install Swarm,
however, you need libpng-1.2.0-1 (and other libraries as Paul mentions in his
documentation:
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Swarm-2.2x_RPMSforRH7.2/ ).

It seemed to me that this would be easy...libpng-1.0.12-2 is simply just an
earlier version of libpng-1.2.0-1, right?

What I thought initially:

"address@hidden Downloads]# rpm -Uvh libpng-1.2.0-1.i386.rpm
error: failed dependencies:
        libpng = 1.0.12 is needed by libpng-devel-1.0.12-2
        libpng.so.2   is needed by cups-libs-1.1.14-15
        libpng.so.2   is needed by cups-1.1.14-15
        libpng.so.2   is needed by netpbm-progs-9.24-3
                ..
"
Why didn't this do the trick?...more investigation was needed.

"
address@hidden Downloads]# rpm -qpl libpng-1.0.12-2.i386.rpm
/usr/lib/libpng.so.2
/usr/lib/libpng.so.2.1.0.12
/usr/share/doc/libpng-1.0.12
/usr/share/doc/libpng-1.0.12/CHANGES
/usr/share/doc/libpng-1.0.12/README
/usr/share/doc/libpng-1.0.12/TODO
/usr/share/doc/libpng-1.0.12/example.c
/usr/share/doc/libpng-1.0.12/libpng.txt
/usr/share/man/man5/png.5.gz
address@hidden Downloads]# rpm -qpl libpng-1.2.0-1.i386.rpm
/usr/lib/libpng.so.3
/usr/lib/libpng.so.3.1.2.0
/usr/share/doc/libpng-1.2.0
/usr/share/doc/libpng-1.2.0/CHANGES
/usr/share/doc/libpng-1.2.0/README
/usr/share/doc/libpng-1.2.0/TODO
/usr/share/doc/libpng-1.2.0/example.c
/usr/share/doc/libpng-1.2.0/libpng.txt
/usr/share/man/man5/png.5.gz
"

So, libpng-1.0-12-2 provides libpng.so.2 which is required by many
applications.  Libpng.1.2.0-1 provided libpng.so.3 which is required by
Swarm.  How to make this two libraries exist concurrently on my box?

This is where I used the --force command:
"address@hidden Downloads]# rpm -ivh --force libpng-1.2.0-1.i386.rpm
Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]
   1:libpng                 ########################################### [100%]
address@hidden Downloads]#
address@hidden Downloads]# rpm -Uvh libpng-devel-1.2.0-1.i386.rpm
address@hidden Downloads]#
"

As I mentioned earlier, using --force is not recommended under most
circumstances.  In this case, though, it seemed like an appropriate course of
action.  I do find it odd that newer versions of libraries wouldn't provide
the functionality of older versions, but then..."who am i to wonder why.."

Hope this helps. Good luck.
geoff