Re: libpng.so.3 Dependency Issues - Swarm installation

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Re: libpng.so.3 Dependency Issues - Swarm installation
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 15:49:11 -0500

Yes, there is an easy fix.

I only run RH7.2 now, but on my system, the libpng is updated compared to the standard distribution. In the same directory where I offer the hdf5 package, you can see the libpng too.

http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/miscSupportSoftware/

I bet that RH7.3 does not have the updated libpng. Ah, I see it does not. So in addition to the hdf5 rpm, you need these:

http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/miscSupportSoftware/libpng-1.2.0-1.i386.rpm
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/miscSupportSoftware/libpng-devel-1.2.0-1.i386.rpm
(and this one supports legacy programs)
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/miscSupportSoftware/libpng10-1.0.12-1.i386.rpm

If that does not get it, I'll check it out.

Could be I'll upgrade to a RH7.3 system over the weekend and then I will make you some new RPMS. But you will still have the libpng problem.

In order to use the new Emacs, one must have the new libpng. Or at least it was necessary 3 months ago.

Building swarm from tarball is not a terrible thing anymore, but it is
still demanding and would require some care/study. The best thing for you to do is to get the spec file I use to build the rpm and then use that to build a new RPM for yourself. Much better than building the old fashioned way because it is easy to install/remove. Beware you need several devel packages that rh does not install by default.

Geoff Wright wrote:
Hi,

I am sorry if this is an inappropriate question but I am having problems installing Swarm on RedHat 7.3.

I need to install the libpng-...- library from Paul Johnson's site which includes the libpng.so.3 file. However, when I attempt to rpm it, I get a "failed dependency" error. That is, a number of applications require libpng.so.2. It seems that rpm wants to overwrite libpng.so.2 and I assume that this would not be good.

I don't fully understand the rpm tool and I suppose that I could always install swarm with the tarball. However, before I go ahead with this more time-consuming task I am wondering if there is an easy fix for this problem.

I have encountered this before with other rpm's and a good strategy for dealing with it would make my life much more enjoyable. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks and take care,
geoff

1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504