libpng.so.3 Dependency Issues - Swarm installation

From: Geoff Wright
Subject: libpng.so.3 Dependency Issues - Swarm installation
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 10:52:15 -0400

Hi,

I am sorry if this is an inappropriate question but I am having problems
installing Swarm on RedHat 7.3.

I need to install the libpng-...- library from Paul Johnson's site which
includes the libpng.so.3 file.  However, when I attempt to rpm it, I get a
"failed dependency" error.  That is, a number of applications require
libpng.so.2. It seems that rpm wants to overwrite libpng.so.2 and I assume
that this would not be good.

I don't fully understand the rpm tool and I suppose that I could always
install swarm with the tarball.  However, before I go ahead with this more
time-consuming task I am wondering if there is an easy fix for this problem.

I have encountered this before with other rpm's and a good strategy for
dealing with it would make my life much more enjoyable. Any advice would be
much appreciated.

Thanks and take care,
geoff