Re: Problem running javaswarm

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Problem running javaswarm
Date: 20 Jul 2001 07:22:49 -0600

TO> I'm having a problem running javaswarm on a Solaris 2.7
TO> machine.  I initially installed the binaries and when I tried to
TO> run jheatbugs I got the following error:

TO> Exception caught: kaffeswarm: file not found
TO> java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Failed to locate native function:
TO> swarm/SwarmEnvironment.initSwarm(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/l
TO> ang/String;[Ljava/lang/String;)V at
TO> StartHeatbugs.main(StartHeatbugs.java:15)

Are you using the Tcl, Tk, and BLT binaries, too?  I think this
symptom can also occur if initialization of the shared library fails
to initialized, and that can happen if its dependencies are not
satisified.  Running `ldd' might give some clues:

$ ldd /opt/SDGswarm/2.1.1/lib/libkaffeswarm.so

TO> I checked my $LD_LIBRARY_PATH and it appeared to be ok. Then I
TO> decided to compile Swarm from source.

To do this you'll need to configure your GCC to use GNU binutils (the
--with-gnu-as and --with-gnu-ld options), or else the Swarm shared library
initialization won't work right.  I don't mean the behavior will be
suboptimal, I mean it will be broken.