Re: Swarm on Mac OS X? Anybody?

From: W . Northcott
Subject: Re: Swarm on Mac OS X? Anybody?
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 13:28:55 +1000

Personally I won't spend any more time on this until I have a release
version.  It seems to me to be futile to be patching around problems that
may not be there in the final version.

Marcus wrote:
>  because there as yet hasn't been much activity in the Apple GCC
>      CVS tree, nor substantive discussion of patches on the Darwin
>      mailing list.

In spite of that he has been trying by posting messages about the compiler
on the Darwin developers list.  Thanks Marcus.

Just as an aside if you are persisting, have you discovered the various
tools for porting GNU stuff which are hidden in the OS X Developer Tools
tree?

Hopefully you also realise that the way to work with frameworks is to use
-F options on the compiler invocations.  Such -F options relace the old -I
-L and -l.  Also the System framework is used by default and includes libm
so that the references to libm in linker instructions must be removed.

I suspect the only way to do this now would be to run configure and then
do a manual edit of the makefiles.
At somepoint, hopefully  (I am a perpetual optimist), this may get rolled
into the standard autoconf packages.  After all Darwin is now part of the
mainstream XFree 4.0.2 sources.  I don't at this stage have an
understanding of how to update the autoconf features of a package.  Marcus
does because he updated Swarm to configure properly with our AlphaEV6
OSF5.0 system.

Of course what is really wanted is an Aqua/Quartz implementation of tk and
BLT, or Swarm to go the whole hog to a Java GUI, but I think the latter is
probably further off than the former.

I guess the fact is that Mac OS X is likely to very rapidly become the
most common *NIX type on the planet, this will make it hard to ignore,
even if it is classified as 'wierd.'  In my experience this adjective
seems to be applied to every *NIX flavour except the speaker's favourite.
All computers are wierd.  The ones you know well seem less so through
familiarity.

Bill Northcott