Re: Swarm on Mac OS X? Anybody?

From: Philip Mötteli
Subject: Re: Swarm on Mac OS X? Anybody?
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 20:40:55 +0100

Hi

Thanks for the quick and detailed answer!

Am Samstag, Februar 10, 2001, um 08:12 PM, schrieb Marcus G. Daniels:

> PM> Has anybody started to port Swarm to MOSX?
>
> To review, the main two problems to resolve are:
>
>    1) Apple's GCC is broken and normal unbroken GCC doesn't know about
>       Darwin's Mach-O assembler and linker `features'.

>       As I've mentioned before, I'm so disgusted by what I see as
>       Apple/NeXT's longstanding indifference to their developer
>       community and pointless infrastructure weirdness,

I do agree here. I sometimes have the impression, they prefer to replace ObjC
with Java in order to become standard. But even with Java I have plenty of
problems.

>       Of course, I'm perfectly willing to install workarounds in Swarm
>       from individuals that want to deal with it in an end-to-end kind
>       of way.  I hope you have fun.

:-)     Thanks. And I will do that very probably (without lots of fun). And I'm
happy, that there will be a possibility to merge them, so that by time (long
time...) we will end up with a working version for MOSX.

>    2) Swarm uses Tk/BLT for graphics, so some kind of port of those
>       libraries is needed, one that can work in a the GCC compiler
> environment.

I actually have installed them. Although without shared libraries. And NOT
tested!

>       This issue can be avoided if you set up a X11 server.

I do have that.
But when I want to compile swarm now, I have the problem, with those configure
scripts, who can't deal with the framework wrappers of MOSX. Especially Java,
which is in a folder "Java.framework", organised as its typic on MOSX is not
very appreciated by the configure script.

> A related issue for fans of the WebObjects development tools
> (e.g. InterfaceBuilder) is that Swarm uses the GNU Objective C runtime
> and Apple has their own from back in the NeXT days.

That's another problem. Hope we can encapsulate that well.

Phil

lic. oec. publ. Philip Mötteli                    Tel# +41(22)320-3088
c/o Leila Bourahla                                Fax# +1(425)940-1642
23, Rue Prévost-Martin                            Tel# +41(78)742-9334
CH-1205 Geneva                             E-Mail: moetteli at mac.com