Re: Which Linux for Mac G3 and Swarm?

From: Ralf Stephan
Subject: Re: Which Linux for Mac G3 and Swarm?
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 12:30:49 +0100

jay:
> So far it seems as though Mac OS X is out and that the contenders are SuSE
> 7.0 and LinuxPPC (presumably 2000).

Don't forget Debian.

> On the Swarm download page, there are packaged binaries for SuSE 6.3
> GNU/Linux x86 and LinuxPPC R5 (1999).  Would either of these be compatible
> with their respective versions above, or will I have to build Swarm from
> source?

x86 is for, well, x86.  The problems with the old LinuxPPC version
would be that the Swarm version you get isn't up-to-date, and that
it is likely not very fast as gcc around 1999 didn't optimize very
good for PowerPC.  Building on SuSE PPC from source costs you only
a "./configure ; make install" so why not?  It's likely that the new
LinuxPPC distro wouldn't make much problems but we haven't heard
of someone using that with Swarm.

ralf