Re: ASM on Compaq(DEC) Tru64 UNIX - Its a runner!

From: W . Northcott
Subject: Re: ASM on Compaq(DEC) Tru64 UNIX - Its a runner!
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 19:04:14 +1000

Marcus wrote
>These probe problems should be fixed now.  Please try the 2001-01-31
snapshot.
>They were *not* the fault of Paul's ASM modifications.

I was beginning to suspect that.  I rewrote them as methods, but it became
clear that my methods broke in the same place as Paul's functions.  So I
reverted to privateParams->numfcasts syntax and now it all runs.  At least
50,000 iterations on the standard settings with no crash.

Many thanks again for your help with this.

For that matter, surely it is better to use privateParams->numfcasts
syntax because it is simpler and quicker to run.  I can't see the
objection to having a heap of public ivars in BFParams.  The class exists
purely to make objects which hold the parameters.  Those parameters never
get changed during a run.  It has no function.  So why load it up with
code?

I presume the 2001-01-31 snapshot includes the alpha fixes to date.  I
will download and try it.

Bill Northcott