Re: ASM on Compaq(DEC) Tru64 UNIX - Its a runner!

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Re: ASM on Compaq(DEC) Tru64 UNIX - Its a runner!
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 07:35:04 -0600

address@hidden wrote:

> Marcus wrote
> >These probe problems should be fixed now.  Please try the 2001-01-31
> snapshot.
> >They were *not* the fault of Paul's ASM modifications.
Oh my god, what a relief.  I keep a list of things that are my fault,
and seldom get to remove one :)

> For that matter, surely it is better to use privateParams->numfcasts
> syntax because it is simpler and quicker to run.  I can't see the
> objection to having a heap of public ivars in BFParams.  The class exists
> purely to make objects which hold the parameters.  Those parameters never
> get changed during a run.  It has no function.  So why load it up with
> code?

Maybe there is no way to protect the value of numfcasts in side
privateParams.  I worry that it might be changed from outside by
accident when using the -> to access it.  It think that's the reason I
was going at it with the probes & getDouble and getInt.  Perhaps, at the
time I started using the getDouble and getInt code, I was just mistaken
to believe it was more object-oriented.  I think in java I could protect
some of those by declaring them as final, but that won't work for all
params.

pj

ps: By the way, I noticed last night that the links on the sourceforge
site don't work anymore, since they moved everything last month. I  am
trying to find out why. I'm referring to
http://artstkmkt.sourceforge.net and the fact that the directories
"screenshots" and "updates" are no longer found by the web server.  I'm
asking in their forum, but if anybody here knows why, hit me privatey
with the big news.