Re: Objective-C/Java Translation

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Re: Objective-C/Java Translation
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 10:02:08 -0600

"Marcus G. Daniels" wrote:

> Most using-phase Impl classes also have one or more overloaded constructors
> which implement the phase switching magic for the user.  It's only in
> complex cases that the dual nature of an interface is exposed..

Just to make sure I understand, is this right: many Impl classes have
create() methods (constructors) that allow the user to pass through all
of the arguments that would be needed separate steps of the create-phase
(CImpl), so no separate use of CImpl is necessary.  WHen a create method
is called, the Swarm libraries hide the separate calls to CImpl and
SImpl.  The separate usage of CImpl is necessary only when an obj-c
class has create-phase methods that are not rolled into the create()
method, as was the case with the Arguments example.

My followup questions:
1. If one wants to subclass from an Impl that has the needed create()
method, is it sufficient to write just one subclass for MyObjectImpl
that extends SwarmImpl ?  Or must one create a subclass MyObjectCImpl
extending SwarmCImpl? See what I mean? Will MyObjectImpl "on the fly"
figure out where to get its CImpl stuff if I don't create that class?

2. I've never seen the SImpl class used in a Java program.  Have you?