Objective-C/Java Translation

From: Rob Leclerc
Subject: Objective-C/Java Translation
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 13:27:57 -0700

    I am using the Java Swarm libraries and have begun working through the PD tutorial in the book "Economic Simulation in Swarm"  which are written in Objective-C. In the simulation, the interfaces are extending SwarmObject, which we in java seem to represent the SwarmObject interface and its counterpart SwarmObjectImpl.  The problem is, is that the Payoffs interface that is defined also has defined a "createEnd()" which is suppose to override the "createEnd()" method in Objective-C's "SwarmObject".  What I have noticed is that most if not all of the classes have a something like a:

 "<interfaceName>","<interfaceName>C","<interfaceName>CImpl","<interfaceName>Impl".

As well as these "C" references, which I take to be some kind of create versions of the class, there are also some "S" type classes.  I was unable to get a good understanding of what the different or important roles these classes played.  As well, I am not sure how these classes relate to what is provided in the tutorial.  That is, would the Payoffs class extend SwarmObjectCImpl or SwarmObjectImpl or something else?

Thank you,
Rob Leclerc
University of Calgary