Re: Objective-C/Java Translation

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Objective-C/Java Translation
Date: 24 Jan 2001 21:51:57 -0800

RL> Further, I am not sure I see a necessary link between a "CImpl"
RL> object and a corresponding "Impl" object.

Objective C Swarm users normally don't think about having a different
object after -createEnd, because they usually don't have a different
object.  The object remains the same, but the method dispatch table is
modified to select the right implementation methods as per by
create-time parameters.

To change the set of methods that are active in Java means switching
objects, so the CImpl/Impl relation in the create-time constructor is
to keep things in sync when the phase switch occurs.

RL> What I don't really understand is why those would need to be set
RL> outside of the constructor?  Having overloaded constructors should
RL> allow you to pretty much mutate the object in any way you desire.

Most using-phase Impl classes also have one or more overloaded constructors
which implement the phase switching magic for the user.  It's only in
complex cases that the dual nature of an interface is exposed..