Re: problems compiling swarm (on LinuxPPC)

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Re: problems compiling swarm (on LinuxPPC)
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 10:09:42 -0600

Jacobo Myerston wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm Jacobo Myerston and this is the first time I use this list. I 'm
> also new to swarm.
> The error I get compiling Swarm is:
> cc1obj: warnings being treated as errors
> In file included from fcall_objc.m:23:
> _fcall.m: In function 'objc_add_primitive':
> -fcall.m:63: warning: implicit declaretion of function 'av_double'
> make[3] *** [fcall_objc.lo] Error 1
>
> I   checked out the requiered software and   I think I have all installed.
>
> The computer I am using is a Imac running LinuxPPC 2000  and JDK1.3 or
> JDK1.2.2.

I don't have linuxPPC platform to experiment on, but I have read the
spec file for building RPMS and have noted several "special" settings
are required to compile on PPC.  If your PPC system has the RPM system
installed, it might be easiest if you got the src.rpm package and tried
to rebuild that way.  If that's not possible, here's the bit from the
spec file that might tell you what's up. This is from the spec file I
use to build swarm against the jdk1.3.  I just ftp'd a copy of that spec
file to my Swarm RPM directory
(http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Swarm-2.x_RPMSforRH7):

%ifarch ppc
Requires: libffi >= 1.20
%endif

%ifarch ppc
CFLAGS="-fdollars-in-identifiers -O2 -g" %configure --with-ffidir=/usr
--disable-jar
%endif

If you check you'll see %configure is a MACRO that grabs the full
configure statement (see next) and adds some stuff.

%define baseconfigure %{gcc_path} %{SWARM_SRC_DIR}/configure
--srcdir=%{SWARM_SRC_DIR} --with-defaultdir=/usr
--prefix='/REPLACE-AT-INSTALLATION' --enable-subdirs
--with-jdkdir=/usr/local/jdk1.3

ffi is a library that we used to have to build/install to run swarm, but
no most platforms it is no longer needed. Its one of the things I never
tried to figure out, but marcus or alex lancaster could tell you why if
you really needed to.

The CFLAGS fixes a compiler issue and the configure statement points at
the ffi install dir.

If you don't make any progress, please write again to the list and tell
us exactly what support software you installed and which version of gcc
you are running.