Re: interactivity & other general questions

From: M Lang / S Railsback
Subject: Re: interactivity & other general questions
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 10:27:43 -0800

Vickie M Backus wrote:

> i've just started seriously looking into using swarm for biological
> modelling and have a few questions i'm hoping maybe someone could take the
> time to answer.
>
> 1) i've downloaded and intalled the jheatbugs application. it was my
> understanding that swarm was designed to be interactive, but when i change
> the number of bugs (or other parameters) in the HeabtbugModelSwarm dialog
> window nothing changes. i have to quit the simulation and start over every
> time i want to change something. do i have to do something special to get
> the changes to take affect? if i'm not missing anything and you have to
> keep restarting the program, is this an artifact of the jheatbugs program
> itself and can true user interactivity be easily coded into the swarm
> program.

If you go to the User Contributions page
http://www.swarm.org/community-contrib.html you'll find a couple fun
little demos we did that allow you to change parameter values as the
model runs. They also have a button that make stuff happen in the middle
of a run. Look for ClupeoidsV2.tar.gz .

> 3)mozilla and DOM: i'm a GIS user and the idea of easy integration of
> Swarm with ArcInfo is very appealing to me. when is the next release of

There's got to be a big market for Swarm-and-GIS.

By the way there is a book that I believe is out now: Integrating
Geographic Information System and Agent Based Modeling Techniques for
Simulating Social and Ecological Processes. R. Gimblett, ed.. New York,
Oxford University Press.

Steve R.
--
address@hidden