Re: Generating documentation from source code

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: Re: Generating documentation from source code
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 22:31:43 -0500

"Marcus G. Daniels" wrote:

> PJ> You are just begging for a giant hassle if you
> PJ> try to make swarmdocs from the source and you are not already an
> PJ> expert.
>
> Ouch Paul, you're really bringing me down.  ;-)
>
> All this stuff is setup to build right off the Swarm 1.4.1 CD-ROM
> under NT.  (It ought to work on Windows 98 too, but of course anything
> you do with '98 must be done with kid gloves, with please and thank
> you at every turn.  Since it isn't a trivial procedure to run a build
> of Swarmdocs to completion, '98 users can expect to reboot about seven
> times before the thing finishes -- at least that has been my
> experience.)

I apologize very strongly. Since I knew that user who asked is a RedHat
linux user, I totally forgot that MS Windows even exists and I never
considered that it could be easy in MS windows.

There's no doubt in my mind you could make that doc building stuff work
if you put your mind to it. I don't know how it would be done, since so
many of the fundamentals are screwed in the base RedHat distribution.
Maybe on the cd you could just supply the whole directory structure for
tex, jade, and such, and you could have it tweaked out so the swarm docs
would compile and never rely on anything in the user's computer. Then no
matter what brain dead version of linux people have, they could build
the docs.

Gosh, that sounds like a great idea I just thought up, but I bet it is
what you intended all along.

--
Paul E. Johnson                         email: address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science              http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn