Re: Q: Installing SWARM-1.3 on SGI IRIX-6.4

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Q: Installing SWARM-1.3 on SGI IRIX-6.4
Date: 06 Oct 1998 08:28:20 -0700

EW> I modified Makefiles so they used -O2 in stead of -O3 and left
EW> other flags unchanged (I hope that was what you meant,
EW> Jayshree?).

The most reliable way to change a compilation flag is to do it
at configure time.  Like so:

CFLAGS=-O2 ./configure [whatever]

On some systems, different code is included by system header files
depending optimization and other compiler/preprocessor flags.  Since these
flags can change what the autoconfiguration process comes up with, it's
important to communicate the flags you want to `configure'.  They'll
be propagated to Makefiles, so it is not a complication.

EW> Marcus suggested I export SHELL and CONFIG_SHELL
EW> before configure-time as bash, but that does not seem to change
EW> much.

That was not necessary for me on IRIX 6.4, although I have had similiar
problems with shells on other systems (e.g. HPUX).

EW> -I./../misc -g -O2 -Wno-import -c List.m
EW> gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1obj got fatal signal 6

EW> Do any of you know what that means?

GCC debugging instrumentation is broken on IRIX 6.4; avoid using -g.
Try passing CFLAGS=-O2 to configure as above.

EW> Would it be easier if I could get a binary version og SWARM-1.3
EW> from one of you other IRIX-6.4 devellopers?

Ideally, we would have a binary install package for the IRIX package manager.
Unfortunately, building such a package typically requires root access,
and we don't have any IRIX machines at SFI.