Re: Seeking info for FAQ on troubleshooting (also Village 4-1 wont run u

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: Re: Seeking info for FAQ on troubleshooting (also Village 4-1 wont run under swarm-1.0.3.)
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 21:14:08 -0500 (EST)

Re. the first general "implicit declaration", that means
some function has not been declared.  In this case its
the free and malloc subroutines, which are system subroutines which
are (I think) declared in memory.h (or maybe its now in
<stdlib.h> on modern c's?).
So an #import <memory.h> or <stdlib.h> is called for in the file that
uses these (Exchange.m).  To figure out what file to include, try
  man free
or sometimes you need to
  man 3 time
to get the section 3 subroutine time
(rather than the section 1 command time).
That all assumes its a system subroutine that is not declared.
If the name makes it obvious its an application or swarm subroutine,
start using grep in the application *.m or *.h files, or
in the swarm files.

for #2, Assuming I didn't know what the problem was:
I guess I'd just start looking at anything that is
bringing up windows (eg in ObserverSwarm.m)
and see what looks to be talking about "zooming" or about
window shapes (ie square vs non-square, i.e., x and y sizing).

I'd try to remember to remove the core file, too!

- r

Rick Riolo                           address@hidden
Program for Study of Complex Systems (PSCS)
4068 Randall Lab
University of Michigan         Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
Phone: 313 763 3323                  Fax: 313 763 9267
http://pscs.physics.lsa.umich.edu/PEOPLE/rlr-home.html
http://pscs.physics.lsa.umich.edu//pscs.html