Seeking info for FAQ on troubleshooting (also Village 4-1 wont run unde

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Seeking info for FAQ on troubleshooting (also Village 4-1 wont run under swarm-1.0.3.)
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 19:35:53 -0600 (CST)

Now I'm going to try to collect from you folks insights about
programming and troubleshooting Swarm. I've already been collecting up
various compiler/linker error messages.  I don't have a list ready
to show yet, but if you have any, I'd collect them for the Swarm
FAQ.

Along those lines,
I just downloaded village, just for the fun of it.  I have two
support type questions, mostly I'm interested in your philosophy and
outlook, rather than your specific analysis of this program.

1. When I made it, there were two warnings:
Exchange.m: In function `_i_Exchange__addTrader_':
Exchange.m:45: warning: implicit declaration of function `malloc'
Exchange.m: In function `_i_Exchange__removeTrader_':
Exchange.m:89: warning: implicit declaration of function `free'

I didn't write the code, haven't studied it.  I was just wondering
if most people see errors like that and ignore them, or what?

2.  WHen I ran it, I saw the Swarm control windows, but when I hit
go, this was what showed up in the xterm:

*** event raised for error: WindowUsage
nonsquare zoom given.
*** execution terminating due to error
IOT trap/Abort (core dumped)

I don't suppose I'm interested in troubleshooting this particular
program, but I'm interested to know if you folks see things like
that often and how you diagnose them.  Is there a series of steps
you follow to figure out what went wrong?  I can't make much headway
with gdb on this one, probably because I don't know what specific
commands to type.

Paul E. Johnson                           address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science                Office: (913) 864-9086
University of Kansas                      FAX: (913) 864-5700
Lawrence, Kansas 66045                    Home: (913) 842-9916