Re: Apple dumping ObjectiveC for Java ?

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: Apple dumping ObjectiveC for Java ?
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 13:11:36 -0600 (CST)

Even if Apple switches, why should Linux users care?  The GNUstep
project is supposed to parallel the Apple project, and it is
still using Obj-C, right?  And GNUstep will offer the cross
platform portability still, right?

If Apple switches, does that mean Swarm is in the wrong language?
If the popularity and breadth of use of  Obj-C were the criterion,
we would say yes, even if Apple stayed with Obj-C.  I tried a long
time to hire an assistant who had done even minimal Obj-C programming
and found nobody on this campus.  So, I take it that popularity
was never the reason Obj-C was chosen in the first place. Instead,
the advantage was run-time binding and ease of programming.  I've
not seen any evidence that Java will be superior. (Although it
looks to be more portable...)

paul johnson