Re: Interesting piece from PC Week

From: David J. Groom
Subject: Re: Interesting piece from PC Week
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 12:56:39 -0500 (EST)

Brad,

I learned Java from the book "Learn Java in 21 Days" by Laura Lemay.  It's
fairly good, and you can probably skip a few days since ObjC already gave
you familiarity with OOP.  It's only ~$40, or you can go with the
Professional Edition for $50 or $60, which has additional information on
some of the more advanced topics, and is well worth the extra money.

-DJG

On Wed, 5 Nov 1997 address@hidden wrote:

> Benedikt Stefansson wrote:
> >
> > This is a bit off topic, but I thought some others might find this
> > interesting. There are two reasons I find this relevant. One is that I'm
> > at heart an Apple person and have been looking forward to the Swarm
> > Java-GUI and Rhapsody since both were announced. I've also become
> > convinced that the Swarm hive was justified in choosing Objective-C over
> > alternatives such as C++ for Swarm, because of the simplicty of ObjC and
> > the importance of late binding. So it is pretty sad to get these news
> > from Cupertino (from PC Week):
> >
> > Objective-C jilted for Java ...
>
> Thanks for the interesting article... Is it time to learn Java in lieu
> of the future of Swarm.  (Another way of asking), Do we need to know
> Java to use the upcoming NT release?  Or, is the Java GUI just taking
> over for tcl/tk?  Is it possible that Java will completely replace ObjC
> in future versions of Swarm?
>
> I want to learn Java, and being in private industry, its harder to
> convince the "holders of the purse-strings" to pay for the training.
> So, if Java will eventually supplant Obj C for Swarm usage, I can get
> approval for Java training.  And even if it won't happen for many
> months, I still want to beat the rush that may occur later...
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Brad.

---
David J. Groom via Pine