Re: Interesting piece from PC Week

From: bleydorf
Subject: Re: Interesting piece from PC Week
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 1997 11:08:39 -0500

Benedikt Stefansson wrote:

> This is a bit off topic, but I thought some others might find this
> interesting. There are two reasons I find this relevant. One is that I'm
> at heart an Apple person and have been looking forward to the Swarm
> Java-GUI and Rhapsody since both were announced. I've also become
> convinced that the Swarm hive was justified in choosing Objective-C over
> alternatives such as C++ for Swarm, because of the simplicty of ObjC and
> the importance of late binding. So it is pretty sad to get these news
> from Cupertino (from PC Week):
>
> Objective-C jilted for Java ...

Thanks for the interesting article... Is it time to learn Java in lieu
of the future of Swarm.  (Another way of asking), Do we need to know
Java to use the upcoming NT release?  Or, is the Java GUI just taking
over for tcl/tk?  Is it possible that Java will completely replace ObjC
in future versions of Swarm?

I want to learn Java, and being in private industry, its harder to
convince the "holders of the purse-strings" to pay for the training.
So, if Java will eventually supplant Obj C for Swarm usage, I can get
approval for Java training.  And even if it won't happen for many
months, I still want to beat the rush that may occur later...

Any thoughts?

Brad.