Re: Long suffering of Redhat 4.1 user with tcl7.6/tk4.2

From: Sven N. Thommesen
Subject: Re: Long suffering of Redhat 4.1 user with tcl7.6/tk4.2
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 09:23:32 -0500

At 09:56 PM 4/16/97 -0500, you wrote:

>I have come to the conclusion that there is something troublesome about
>tk4.2 and tcl7.6.  I believe the problem starts with libtclobjc and then
>is propagated through the swarm compile and then crashes heatbugs.
>
>A big part of the problem is that the libraries for tcl7.6 and tk4.2 are
>".so" libraries, not "a" libraries.

Paul,

I just had the pleasure yesterday of getting Swarm to function with RedHat
4.1. After much tedious fiddling, I *was* successful. There is nothing
wrong with Tcl7.6 or Tk4.2! It all works now (though one never knows what
gremlins might lurk :-)

The short answer to your woes is (a) to install and compile the sources for
tcl and tk off the RedHat CD, and (b) make sure the linker finds the
correct version of blt by updating /etc/ld.so.conf and running ldconfig.

A longer, more detailed answer in a bit, if you're interested.

Good luck,
Sven Thommesen.