Re: Profiling Swarm Apps

From: Nelson Minar
Subject: Re: Profiling Swarm Apps
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 96 12:56:21 MDT

>I was wondering if anyone has tried to compile swarm with the -p or -pg
>compile options for profiling.  Every time I try, my application dumps core
>with a segmentation error.

I used to profile Swarm all the time (no, really!) while developing it
on my Linux box. I don't recall any trouble. Can you profile anything
on your system at all? Can you profile Objective C programs? If both
of those things work, then maybe Swarm is to blame.

>Also, if anyone knows of tools that I could use to track down the
>memory leaks, I would appreciated hearing from you.

There are lots of good commercial tools for this, but Objective C
support varies (there are some subtleties in the link process that are
similar to those for C++).ElectricFence is a decent free tool for
finding memory errors, although I don't recall if it does leaks.
Checker is a free Purify-like system, but last I checked under Linux
(a year ago) it wasn't ready for serious use.