bug?

From: Theodore C. Belding
Subject: bug?
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 1996 01:06:43 -0400

Well, I've compiled Swarm and heatbugs successfully on my PowerMac 7100/66
running MkLinux DR2.  Heatbugs seg faults, though -- still have to figure
out what the problem is.

A couple of notes:

First, I think I found a bug in the file src/defobj/Symbol.m.  gcc
complained that "void value not ignored as it ought to be" on lines 119 and
142.  Both lines are the same:
  argptr = va_start( argptr, eventData );

According to Harbison & Steele (4th ed., p. 296), va_start is declared as:
void va_start(va_list ap, type);

I changed both lines to:
va_start( argptr, eventData );

and the file compiled fine.  Here's a diff for Symbol.m:

--- cut here ---

119c119
<   argptr = va_start( argptr, eventData );
---
>   va_start( argptr, eventData );
142c142
<   argptr = va_start( argptr, eventData );
---
>   va_start( argptr, eventData );

--- cut here ---

Second, I had to add the gcc flag "-fsigned-char" to Makefile.conf because
I was getting a warning "comparison is always 0 due to limited range of
data type" for some of the source files.  The problem seems to be that
chars are unsigned in MkLinux but signed under Linux on Intel platforms
(this is from the MkLinux release notes).  Adding the flag gets rid of the
warning.  (Could you add a note on this to the FAQ? Thanks!)

Back to work. :)
-Ted

--
Ted Belding                      <mailto:address@hidden>
University of Michigan Program for the Study of Complex Systems