SOLVED: RedHat 4.0 FTP install blues

From: Sven N. Thommesen
Subject: SOLVED: RedHat 4.0 FTP install blues
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 1996 06:59:12 -0500

This message is forwarded to this list
as a service to those of you who use
Linux and who might be thinking of
upgrading to the newly released
Redhat Linux 4.0 (with a 2.0.18 kernel).

The rest of you may safely send it to
the big bit bucket in the sky!          :-)

The problem to which this is a solution is with the
FTP installation method offered. (CDs will be
available in a week or so.)

If one tries to install all packages, or a large
subset, the process hangs with various error
messages just at the end; in most cases the
resulting root partition is unusable.

Read on: