Re: making neuro demos

From: Manor Askenazi
Subject: Re: making neuro demos
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 23:47:45 -0600

Hi Paul (and anyone else who has tried to use the GA and Neuro libs)!

The good news:   There is nothing wrong with your installation.

The bad news:    The neuro and ga libraries are *badly* out-of-sync
                 with the Swarm distribution (they assume a pre-beta
                 release we used to have a loooong loooong time ago).

The latest news: JJ (the author of the said libraries) is currently
                 updating these to link against the latest distribution
                 of Swarm.

The plan:        Send him friendly emails about your great interest in
                 his libraries etc. etc. ... Can't hurt ... :-)

The bottom line: We should have verified that the libraries were still
                 up to date even though they are not an integral part
                 of the Swarm distribution. However, in the long run
                 we won't be able to afford the time to check independent
                 submissions to the Swarm User Contrib area.

The time frame:  Try and find out what is going on with this library,
                 and get a feel for how long you will have to postpone
                 your research due to these delays. Maybe JJ will make
                 some sort of public statement about it?

Regards,

Manor.

PS> Prehaps we should've probably removed the libraries from the web site
    until they were updated but that would've eliminated the possiblity of
    someone else bringing them up to date (which may happen later on, when
    we have more submissions etc.), so in the long run its not a good policy.

     his own GA (address@hidden) and one person who wrote his own
     Neural Net agent (address@hidden).