Re: heatbugs cold

From: Nelson Minar
Subject: Re: heatbugs cold
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 95 17:47:32 MDT

>Basically, I've gotten nowhere.

Damn, I'm sorry to hear this. It doesn't sound that bad to me, though,
mostly BLT problems.

>I got BLT from Rick (thanks, Rick!), and it does exactly what my BLT
>build did.  That being, when I hit the "You can configure any
>component by pressing this <button>" button, I get a little blank
>window with the Motif border titled "GraphConfig", entirely empty,
>and a "%" prompt appears in my shell.

If BLT doesn't work on your system, I don't know what to do except get
frustrated. Is Terry's comment about #! path length helpful?

>    I tried Nelson's suggestion and built testGraph.  It compiles and dies:
>        log10: SING error (yes, SING, not sign)
>        Floating exception (core dumped)

Oh boy. Could you get a stack trace so we can see who is generating
the error? Run under gdb and type "where" when it crashes.

>And I -do- clearly have color problems.  Heatbugs does execute.  But with
>the code as written, there's no red anywhere on the heatbugs display.

Have you waited for a few minutes? Heatbugs starts in a completely
cold world, so it takes a bit for the critters to generate enough heat
to warm it up. (If you saw a demo, it's different now).

>(In a normal, "red = 0..255" scheme, nothing below red=100 is really
>discernable from black.  This is true with green and blue as well.)

That will depend on the gamma correction of your monitor.

>All of the windows have Motif border titles of "address@hidden" or
>similar.

That's normal: I don't have useful titles on the windows yet.

>    The probe window says idealTemperature "192 'a'" (carat on the a)
>                          outputHeat      "64 '@'"
>                          world            "Grid2d (0x4006c9)
>                          heat             "HeatSpace (0x400...)
>                          color                   "65 'A'"

That is correct. The values on the right are string reps of the
variables. "idealTemperature" is an unsigned char, so it's printed
both as a number and as a character. World is an object, so you just
see its class name and the pointer.

>The time axis on the unhappiness graph runs 0..2e+29 .  This is a
>straight line at 0.72 or thereabouts.

2e+29?! That's odd. Normal heatbugs has unhappiness of about 0.75 at
time 0, levels out around near 0.1 around time 250.

>I tried installing readline-2.0, because something (of course I
>no longer recall what...) said redirect into Tk's promptAndEval wouldn't
>work without it.  Which could be my problem.  However.  The linker croaks
>when I try to build it.  "ld: invalid loader fixup needed on .sl)"

you shouldn't need to deal with readline, at least for Swarm. It is
possible to configure libtclobjc to use it, but since we never prompt
for Tk input (normally) it just confuses things.