heatbugs cold

From: Ginger Booth
Subject: heatbugs cold
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 95 17:01:29 EDT

Rick & Nelson & Terry,

    Sorry it's taken me so long to reply.  Basically, I've gotten nowhere.
I've been zeroing in on trying to get BLT/demos/graph and swarm/apps/heatbugs
to work.  They don't.

    I got BLT from Rick (thanks, Rick!), and it does exactly what my BLT
build did.  That being, when I hit the "You can configure any component by
pressing this <button>" button, I get a little blank window with the Motif
border titled "GraphConfig", entirely empty, and a "%" prompt appears in my
shell.

    I tried Nelson's suggestion and built testGraph.  It compiles and dies:

        log10: SING error (yes, SING, not sign)
        Floating exception (core dumped)

    I tried building libXpm again from the HPUX Wisconsin mirror site source.
But sxpm worked before quite nicely, and works now.

    Netscape was up.  (All the Swarm documentation is in HTML, which is easier
to read with a browser...)  But I tried with it down.  No difference.  The
machine got rebooted by a power failure, so Netscape had never been up.  No
difference.  I now use a macro calling "netscape -install &", which is supposed
to make it use its own colormap.  No difference.  Good thought, though.

    And I -do- clearly have color problems.  Heatbugs does execute.  But with
the code as written, there's no red anywhere on the heatbugs display.  I hacked
a bit with the code, trying other things.  This modification:

//  for (i = 0; i < 64; i++)
//   [colormap setColor: i ToRed: (double)i / 63.0 Green: 0 Blue: 0];
  for (i = 0; i < 64; i++)
     [colormap setColor: i ToRed: (0.5 + (double)(int)(i/8) * 0.0625)
     Green: 0 Blue: 0];

does make the background ever-so-faintly ruddy-black with rare dull red spots.
Unless you look very closely, it's just green on black.  (I've played with
other combos.)  (In a normal, "red = 0..255" scheme, nothing below red=100
is really discernable from black.  This is true with green and blue as well.)

This isn't the only problem with heatbugs, just the most glaring.  (A ton of
green dots and one white one wiggling around doesn't make much sense.)

    All of the windows have Motif border titles of "address@hidden" or
similar.

    The probe window says idealTemperature "192 'a'" (carat on the a)
                          outputHeat       "64 '@'"
                          world            "Grid2d (0x4006c9)
                          heat             "HeatSpace (0x400...)
                          color            "65 'A'"

    The time axis on the unhappiness graph runs 0..2e+29 .  This is a
straight line at 0.72 or thereabouts.

    I tried installing readline-2.0, because something (of course I
no longer recall what...) said redirect into Tk's promptAndEval wouldn't
work without it.  Which could be my problem.  However.  The linker croaks
when I try to build it.  "ld: invalid loader fixup needed on .sl)"

    Anyway, I'll try some more tomorrow.  Suggestions welcome.  I'd hoped
before writing anything to have something narrowed down.  Didn't manage it.

Ciao,
    Ginger