swarm-modeling

Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Modeling the behaviour of diabetes patients

From: Joshua O'Madadhain
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Modeling the behaviour of diabetes patients
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 09:38:24 -0700

On 16 Sep 2005, at 9:14, Paul Johnson wrote:

Pieter Steenekamp wrote:

Hi
I want to use a scale free network to model the interaction between these people.

I thought of scale free as a descriptive property of the network after it forms, rather than a constructive term. How will you create it? Will people chooose to interact by some feature and then the status gets broadcasted, so that some people end up with many more contacts than others?

It is a descriptive property, but I'm fairly sure that there are algorithms from the field of social network analysis that will generate a (random) scale-free network; there certainly are such algorithms for power-law and small-world networks. Try a search on "scale-free network algorithm"; it has a few results that look promising.

Joshua O'Madadhain

address@hidden Per Obscurius...www.ics.uci.edu/~jmadden
Joshua O'Madadhain: Information Scientist, Musician, and Philosopher- At-Tall It's that moment of dawning comprehension that I live for--Bill Watterson My opinions are too rational and insightful to be those of any organization.