SD crashes in brltty when Espeak encounters semi-graphical characters

From: Hermann
Subject: SD crashes in brltty when Espeak encounters semi-graphical characters
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 12:25:58 +0100

Hi,
I've set up the latest brltty from SVN with SD, to test whether the German
umlaut problem was fixed, which showed up in
older brltty versions.
The good news: Umlauts are spoken.
The bad news: SD crashes everytime brltty comes upon a semi-graphical character
or a row of them. You can check this by
opening the brltty homepage or the archive of this list with w3m or links2
using the braille-terminal settings.
This seems to be a special problem of the Espeak module, since changing the
module solves this issue: Espeak-generic
doesn't crash, but has different issues (the definition of "some" characters is
not accepted, and adding the quotation
mark to the list prevents the module from speaking).
So in any case I prefer Espeak as default module.
Back to brltty: What can be the cause of this issue? I don't get the crash in
all other apps I use with SD (SBL,
Speakup, Speechd-el etc.)
Hermann

--