sipwitch-devel

[Sipwitch-devel] Can SIP Witch be a personal VoIP server?

From: Joris van Rantwijk
Subject: [Sipwitch-devel] Can SIP Witch be a personal VoIP server?
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 18:25:23 +0100

Hi,

I have a very basic question about SIP Witch.

I'm looking for a free software, distributed alternative for Skype.
I could use Jitsi, Linphone, CSipSimple, etc. but then I still need a
VoIP provider. I want to use SIP Witch to set up my own personal VoIP
provider.

On my laptop, I would be running Jitsi. On my personal Internet server
I would be running SIP Witch. My Jitsi connects to my SIP Witch to
receive calls. Other people can call me at address@hidden, where <server>
is the computer where my SIP Witch is running.

Question 1: Can SIP Witch do this?
Question 2: How do I configure it?

I have looked at SIP Witch documentation a few times already.
But so far I have not been able to figure out what SIP Witch *is*.

One problem may be that all documents about SIP Witch use highly
technical jargon. It is all about "provisioning" and "dialing plans"
and those words mean nothing to me. Apparently SIP Witch can do much
more complicated things than the simple thing I want it to do.

If I ever figure out how to run my personal Witch, I can maybe write a
wiki page to explain this simple, limited use case in a way that does
not assume previous knowledge about SIP or VoIP. Perhaps it will help
to get people away from Skype and towards free software.

Thanks, Joris.