sipwitch-devel

[Sipwitch-devel] Can SIP Witch be a personal VoIP server?

From: Eeri Kask
Subject: [Sipwitch-devel] Can SIP Witch be a personal VoIP server?
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 19:05:34 +0100

On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 18:25:23 +0100, Joris van Rantwijk wrote:
> I have looked at SIP Witch documentation a few times already.
> But so far I have not been able to figure out what SIP Witch *is*.
>
> One problem may be that all documents about SIP Witch use highly
> technical jargon. It is all about "provisioning" and "dialing plans"
> and those words mean nothing to me. Apparently SIP Witch can do much
> more complicated things than the simple thing I want it to do.

While being not in a knowledgeable position to answer any of your
questions I'd second to your request for a simple use case.

For the simplest use case at all you don't need anything except e.g.
jitsi, though this assumes your laptop IP is DNS-resolvable (or you only
operate on a local network).

The second simplest use case ever would be something like to only use a
sip-registrar, i.e. a primitive sip-server accepting "foreign" INVITE
requests and replying only either with 404 (i.e. you are unknown to this
server), 480 (you are currently not "logged in"), or 302 (redirect to
some udp port in your laptop). Thats it; everything else is a business
of your sip-client to deal with.

If you manage to figure out how to put sipwitch into that primitive mode
(and turn off everything else at source code level), it would be great.  :-)

    Eeri Kask