Re: [Simulavr-devel] Need Tar for Atmega328 Simulation

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Need Tar for Atmega328 Simulation
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 09:07:54 +0100

As Brandon Mason wrote:

> Can I get one of the devs to produce a tar for the most recent version?  I
> need support for atmega328, which appears to not be supported in the most
> recent tar (simulavr-0.1.2.7).

simulavr 0.1 is a completely different thing than the current
development version, and basically, its development stopped many years
ago.  I'm only maintaining it in a "minimal effort" manner (just
ensure it keeps compiling, even with newer compiler versions) as long
as avr-libc's testsuite still requires it.

> I've spent over four hours trying to get the version on github to compile
> and there are just too many dependencies that I do not know how to resolve
> on my Mac.

Well, that wouldn't change though by releasing a new tarball.

Nevertheless, I'd also like to urge the developers to finally release
a new tarball version, as it's the preferrable way for users to get
the software.  Without a kind of formal release, the users simply
won't see all the effort that has been spent by the developers in all
those years, so users will think development completely stopped.
Users don't want to be pointed to "github", that's a developer's way
of doing things only.

> Undefined symbols:
>   "_compress", referenced from:
>       _bfd_compress_section_contents in libbfd.a(compress.o)

GNU libbfd recently introduced a dependency from zlib.  (For another
project, I'm thinking of going away from GNU libbfd for just reading
ELF files, towards a simple ELF library.)

So you have to add -lz to your linker flags.

> Interestingly, the tarball for simulavr-0.1.2.7 compiled fine, just did not
> have the device I need.  It's weird that it can find its dependencies, but
> the github version can't.

Again, both are very different things, and the 0.1 version has a
well-enough maintained autoconf file along with it.  There's no
point in trying to migrate the ATmega328 support from the current
version to the 0.1 version.