Re: AW: [Simulavr-devel] A serial console utility

From: Klaus Rudolph
Subject: Re: AW: [Simulavr-devel] A serial console utility
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 18:51:41 +0100

Hi Oleg&Tobias,

Now its really newbie question, because I havent read any bfd docs or
whatever. Does AVR bfd must be different from other platform bfds(or are
there other bfds at all)?

I compiled with bfd from binutils-dev and all seems to be working fine,
but I havent really tested yet, just run some small programs.

The problem is that sometimes you have installed two differnt binutils. Maybe one come
with system distribution (debian, red hat, suse...) and one with avr tools.

If you now do a compile for simulavrxx it is possible that the system header for bfd is taken and the avr-libfd.a is linked. The result could go from all is working to system crash. I had this problem one time and it was really hard to debug. The reason was that a structure has one more member in it and so the access to the structure was wrong. And if you
access wrong memory.... :-)

So: Yes, you must link against the avr-libbfd and must also use the header which comes with your compiled version for avr. It doesn´t really matter if that is the same binutils like for your system, if so you could include also the system header, yes. But
there is no waranaty for this.

Thats it

  Klaus

P.S. Please do not every time a full quote!