screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] screen maintainer

From: Jostein Berntsen
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] screen maintainer
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2014 16:53:08 +0200

On 02.04.14,16:27, Amadeusz Sławiński wrote:
> Hello,
>
> seeing as we came yet again to standstill with new release, I would like
> to volunteer myself as GNU Screen maintainer.
>
> Some of you may know that I maintain separate development tree on github
> (https://github.com/amade/screen/tree/devel/src) in which I have a more
> than 300 changes committed in comparison with official tree. So I may
> as well do this officially ;)
> Changes include:
> * new features (256 colors in hardstatus, hardstatus on top,
> truecolor, ...)
> * removal of ancient code (removed most of #ifdef for ancient systems)
> * removal of features which didn't seem useful or could be replaced
> * rewrites of some functionality
> * bug fixes
> * code reformatting (the source is much more readable now).
> Some of the removed things may need to be reintroduced, but that's what
> development is about. Goal is to hear what features people want and to
> get things going again.
>
> First thing I would do, would be releasing current git tree as
> screen-4.1 also opening separate version 4 branch, only for bug fixes
> so distributions have something recent to base their packages on.
> Next step would be merging my 'devel' branch into master and start
> developing version 5.
>
> Comments, suggestions, alternative solutions?

I think this is a great idea, Then we would get version 4.1 released, and
get more active development as well. It is way due to release a new version
now.

Amedeusz: Do you suggest that all new development should be in the github
tree that you now maintain? I would think that is more effective than what
is at savannah now.

Jostein